Monday, October 22, 2007

First steps in GOING GREEN

According to a 15-year study presented at the Toronto Indoor Air Conference, women who work at home have a 54% higher death rate from cancer than those who work away from home. The study concluded that this was a direct result of the increased exposure to toxic chemicals, many of which are found in common household products.

Do those statistics startle you? I am always leery of statistics. DH majored in Sociology, and took statistics and is always telling me how easy it is to weight them in favor of your "cause". I also don't like the fear tactics people use to try to get me to do the right thing, but this does concern me. I know that the chemicals we use in our cleaners aren't healthy for my family. But I also don't have the extra time, energy or really the desire to make them myself! Plus, I really like my sink to shine and my clothes to smell fresh....So what's a girl to do? Try to find GREEN products that work, and are affordable! Here is the first one I started with:







I purchased this from my local health food store. We have front loading washing machines, and this was labeled HE. It is concentrated, so I wasn't buying any water! It washes 66 loads, and is biodegradable and chemical free.


What we liked:


Easy use, looks just like my "non-green" detergent that I am used to


The smell-it's absolutely heavenly! In fact, my clothes smelled fresher, longer with this detergent than with my previous non-green detergent.


Effectiveness-my clothes were definately just as clean as before.


Cost-at first it seemed really pricey, at nearly $20. But when you compare number of uses out of this and others, it compares with Tide prices.


Overall consensus: We would buy this again, and would highly recommend it to anyone who asked.


We will be trying another Laundry detergent when we are done with this one. So far we've done about 50 loads with this.



No comments: