Sunday, November 4, 2007

Paper or Plastic?


Paper or plastic? The answer is neither! It’s been estimated that the US was responsible for the felling of 14 million trees to produce the 10 billion paper grocery bags used back in 1999. But plastic is not off the hook either! Each year, an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide. That comes out to over one million per minute. According to the EPA, over 380 billion plastic bags, sacks and wraps are consumed in the U.S. each year.



This is the first reusable bag I have had the pleasure of using , and I love it! Of course, everyone has a Canvas bag hanging out somewhere, but I only have a couple, and they are a little flimsy unless you have the heavy duty Land's End ones. The Green Bag is sturdy, can stand up on its own and the straps fit over my shoulder for easy carrying. I hang them up on a hook by my door and every time I leave the house I take one or two just in case. If I am going to the grocery store, 5 of these babies is all I ever need! I bought 5 of these on ebay for about $2 each after shipping. Great price! Now I just have to figure out how to use a different option for my veggies and fruits instead of those produce plastic bags.



2 comments:

Emmanuelle said...

This is what we use in France since fews years. Before, grocery were given us plastic bags. But then, You have to buy those green bags and when it get to old, you give it back and they give you a new one. And with old bags they make new bags.

Anonymous said...

The issue at hand is that "disposable" convenience items are killing our planet. If we reclaimed old fashioned sensibilities like being frugal we'd all be a lot better off. I was talking with my granny the other day about the disposable bag crisis and she told me that in her day people always brought their own bags. When disposable bags were introduced, people stopped bringing their own. Now, people of good intention buy reusable grocery bags and, speaking from personal experience, we often leave them at home. Because of my forgetfulness, I've started packing around a reusable ChicoBag because I can stuff it into a tiny little sack and hang it on my backpack. It's a life saver. Literally. Lucky for college students like me, it's also inexpensive and can hold lots of text books and beverages. If you want to laugh about the bag crisis go to www.bagmonster.com